Sunday 18 August 2013

My week at Fabulous magazine

I've just got back from London, where I spent on of the busiest - and best! - weeks of my life interning at Fabulous magazine. It was the first time I'd stayed in the big city by myself, which meant learning to navigate the tube, find my way around London (thank god for the GPS app on my phone) and putting up with people checking in the hostel where I was staying at gone midnight, every single night, but it was all worth it.

The lovely little goody bag the beauty team at Fabulous put together for me
I've always wanted to go into print journalism, specifically magazines but this was the first time that I have actually had the opportunity to work for one and it just confirmed to me that this is the career I want. I loved travelling through London during the rush hour, I loved working in a busy office surrounded by people who have the careers I want, I loved writing and researching articles, calling publishing houses, helping out on photoshoots and transcribing interviews (even though it took up hours of each day).

My first day at the magazine I was feeling pretty nervous. I'd arrived in London the afternoon before so I had time to learn my way to work but I still had the nerves of first time solo travelling weighing on my shoulders not to mention a night of disrupted sleep and panic over what to wear to the office. But I had no need to worry, everyone in the office was really friendly and I was soon settled at my own desk pouring over that days newspapers looking for feature ideas - and I even managed to mention a couple of ideas to the Features Director. Everyday I had writing and researching to do or phone calls to make and the hours just flew by - although I was knackered by the time I got back to the hostel!

My reward at the end was not only an invaluable insight into the world of women's magazines, but a beautiful goody bag put together by the Fabulous beauty team crammed full of wonderful beauty products that I will no doubt be sharing with you soon.

If you have the slightest interest in any job sector I would recommend trying to get some work experience or an internship with a related company as soon as you can. Drop them an email, make a phone call, what do you have to lose? You can read and research all about your chosen career but they're nothing like actually joining the office for a few days and becoming part of the team.

Check out my top tips for work experience here!

Beth xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment